By Nicholas Buccola
The uncomplicated liberal democratic suggestion is that specific liberty is healthier secured via a democratic political order that treats all voters as equals prior to the legislations and is ruled by means of the legislation, with its limits on how the country may well deal with its electorate and on how voters could deal with each other. notwithstanding splendidly coherent in concept, those principles turn out not easy in real-world politics. The authors of this quantity technique Lincoln because the embodiment of this paradox—“naturally antislavery” but unflinchingly devoted to protecting proslavery legislation; defender of the typical guy yet afflicted via the excesses of democracy; dedicated to the assumption of equivalent traditional rights but not able to visualize a harmonious, interracial democracy. contemplating Lincoln as he tried to determine the that means and coherence of the liberal democratic undertaking in perform, those authors craft a profile of the sixteenth president's political concept from quite a few views and during a number of lenses. jointly their essays create the 1st fully-dimensional portrait of Abraham Lincoln as a political actor, expressing, addressing, and reframing the perennial questions of liberal democracy for his time and our own.
Table of Contents
Introduction, Nicholas Buccola
Part One. Lincoln and Democracy
1. Prosperity and Tyranny in Lincoln's Lyceum tackle, John Burt
2. Providentialism and Politics: Lincoln's moment Inaugural handle and the matter of Democracy, Michael Zuckert
Part . Lincoln and Liberty
3. Lincoln and the Ethics of Emancipation: Universalism, Nationalism, Exceptionalism, Dorothy Ross
4. What If sincere Abe was once Telling the reality? normal Rights, Race, and Legalism within the Political considered Lincoln, Nicholas Buccola
Part 3. Lincoln and Equality
5. "The important part of the Republican Party": Antislavery, Nativism, and Lincoln, Bruce Levine
6. Lincoln's Competing Political Loyalties: Antislavery, Union, and the structure, Manisha Sinha
Part 4. Lincoln as a Liberal Democratic Statesman
7. 4 Roads to Emancipation: Lincoln, the legislation, and the Proclamation, Allen Guelzo
8. Lincoln's Kantian Republic
Read or Download Abraham Lincoln and Liberal Democracy (American Political Thought) PDF
Best ideologies books
This booklet in order to come as a shock to many trained observers and historians means that Jews and Jewish intellectuals have performed a substantial position within the improvement and shaping of contemporary American conservatism. the point of interest is at the upward push of a gaggle of Jewish intellectuals and activists referred to as neoconservatives who started to effect on American public coverage through the chilly battle with the Soviet Union and so much lately within the lead as much as and invasion of Iraq.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 1999 im Fachbereich Politik - Politische Theorie und Ideengeschichte, notice: 2,0, Universität Leipzig (Institut für Politikwissenschaft), Veranstaltung: Seminar: Rationalität und Staat - Die politische Soziologie Max Webers, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Im folgenden textual content habe ich mich mit Max Webers Charismatismus bzw.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2007 im Fachbereich Politik - Politische Theorie und Ideengeschichte, observe: 2,3, Universität Potsdam, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Gegenstand dieser Arbeit sollen die politischen Theorien und Ideen der Federalists Papers und ihrer Autoren sein. Zu untersuchen wird sein, ob die Theorien und Konzepte der amerikanischen Verfassungsväter die Demokratie stärken und ihre als Instrumente gegen den politischen Extremismus fungieren können.
The difficult practices of the elite and the way they retain their dominance. In his new e-book, Göran Therborn – writer of the now usual comparative paintings on classical sociology and historic materialism, technological know-how, category and Society – appears to be like at successive nation constructions in an arrestingly clean point of view.
- Freedom Is an Endless Meeting: Democracy in American Social Movements
- Philosophische Grundlage Heinrich Rickerts (German Edition)
- Politics at the Turn of the Century
- True Faces of Gandhi and Ambedkar
- Rethinking Democracy Promotion in International Relations: The Rise of the Social (Routledge Studies in Intervention and Statebuilding)
- Radicals in the Barrio: Magonistas, Socialists, Wobblies, and Communists in the Mexican-American Working Class
Additional resources for Abraham Lincoln and Liberal Democracy (American Political Thought)